Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Perspective

So I have been having a MAJOR pity party lately.  Today I had a moment of clarity, I am wallowing and feel no peace because I have moved myself so far from The Prince of Peace and Healer of Souls, my Savior Jesus Christ.  If I were reading my scriptures more often, praying day and night I would have peace during a time of great turmoil in our lives.  Do I wish things were different than they were . . . Yes.  But wishing doesn't change what is or what will be.  I need peace in my home for myself and my family.  It is sobering to think that I can blame no one for the chaos I feel but myself.  I was at work today and started watching a bunch of the little clips from www.mormon.org.  There was one by Alex Boye, he is a singer with a beautiful voice and has several albums out.  Below his little video clip was a bio on him and his thoughts and one of them really caught my attention that I would like to share here:

THE CELLPHONE VS THE SCRIPTURES
I wonder what would happen if we treated our scriptures like we treat our cell phones?

What if we carried it around in our purses or pockets?
What if we turned back to go get it if we forgot it?
What if we flipped through it several times a day?
What if we spent an hour or more using it every day?
What if we used it to receive messages?
What if we treated it like we couldn't live without it?
What if we gave it to other kids as gifts?
What if we used it as we traveled? What if we used it in case of an emergency?
This is something to make you go...."Hmmm..Dude.. where is my scriptures?"

Unlike our cell phones:
One Plan does fit all.
Unlimited usage. No roaming charges.
You always have reception.
You can use it in the mountains and in a tunnel.
It's free with no hidden costs,
AND you don't ever have to worry about your scriptures

being disconnected because CHRIST has already paid the bill!


I don't know why I insist on making my life harder, by trying to do it all myself.  This must be one of those lessons it will take me a lifetime to learn.  I'm sure everyone reading this is a faster learner than I am!

I hope everyone has a blessed and Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!

2 comments:

Ironygirl said...

Always a good reminder. I do the same thing too. I hope to learn to trust all the time instead of here and there!

Andrea said...

Nope, I feel like I'm always in the same boat. It's a constant thing to remind myself that I am NOT in control, and God is. Thank goodness for that because he's got it all worked out better than I ever could!