Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Shoveling snow and RUDE nieghbors!

I awoke to a winter wonderland this morning. Last night's storm had left a 2 foot blanket of lovely snow. All ready and waiting to be shoveled. My chivalrous husband graciously left the shoveling to me this morning as he was in a hurry to get to work and, hey he was using the 4 wheel drive vehicle, so shovel shmovel. I knew I had to do it sooner or later. With a snow day called Kurtis and Sean were home with me today. Kurtis was watching cartoons and Sean was still sleeping. I figured now was my chance. I donned my snow boots(thank you mom), gloves, and marshmallow-like snow coat over my pjs and opened the garage door. I grabbed the shovel, it's handle familiar to my hands since I had just shoveled last night. I began. At first it was just powder and was coming up easily, until I hit ice. CURSES! This was going to be harder than I thought. I threw my back and arms into every thrust and every toss. Our driveway was becoming more visible, but my resolve was fading. Maybe I should wait to shovel. No, that would mean more work later! I had to press on. As my work became more intense, my glasses fogged up making it difficult to see. I was sweating underneath my layers and I was getting hot. I threw my hair up into a ponytail and pinned back my bangs. I took my glasses off as well as my hood to let myself breathe. "I can do this!" I told myself. At this point my neighbor came out and started shoveling his drive. I paused to catch my breath and glanced at his driveway. INCONCEIVABLE! His was perfectly shoveled and I was not even half done! I would not allow myself to be defeated in such a way. I had to finish it now! I couldn't give up! Finally I began to see the end of my back breaking(literally) labor. It was beautiful, and it was mine! I had done it, me, Me, ME! No one could steal my glory now! Snow you will not triumph over me I say! I looked over my work and saw that it was good.

Now onto the interesting part of my day. Kurtis had been playing outside in our front yard and had just come in for a time. A boy from down the street came over asking if Kurtis could play. I told him he could play out front. Kurtis opened the garage and started to put on all of his snow gear. I then heard a knock on the door leading from my garage to my kitchen. I thought it was Kurtis. I went over and opened the door and there stood a tall woman with darker hair and she looked very unhappy. I pleasantly greeted the woman and this is what she said to me,
"I live across the way, and last winter this kid,"she gestured toward Kurtis' friend, "used our snow banks to sled on and he completely ruined our snow banks. I don't want to see any children from THIS house on MY property for the entire winter." I then said, "First of all that child,"gesturing to the friend,"isn't mine, this one is,"pointing to Kurtis,"and second I would be more that happy to keep my children off of your property." She replied,"Good. Then turned and walked away." I was FLOORED! I thought for sure this woman could not be a mother. You just would not speak to another mother that way. Especially one that you didn't even know and had never met before! I was sitting in the house stewing about what I should do. The Frank Browning in me would have said to the woman after her rant, "Oh, well then I will just unleash these children on your property in the spring." But I knew that would have made it worse. I was cursing the woman in my head and then realized she had made a huge assumption and acted on it in the worst way. And we all know what they say about assuming. Except in this instance she had only made an ass of herself. Well I took Sean out front with the other boys because I had to shovel yet again. I saw this same woman shoveling her drive a few houses down. It was all I could do to go over and rip her a new one. Then I realized I should, "kill her with kindness" I know that is so cliche, but it worked. I grabbed an extra loaf of banana bread out of the pantry, licked the top of it and wrapped it back up. NO, I'm just kidding I didn't do that! But I did get the loaf and took it over to her. I told her that I was sorry that that was the way that we had to meet and that I would be sure to keep Kurtis off her property. Then I see she has a little boy who was only a little older than Sean! As I continued to talk to her I come to find out, she doesn't even KNOW who had been sledding on her snow bank last year because they never caught the kid(s). I can't say for sure it wasn't Kurtis, but I had talked to him before about staying off other people's property and he was very good about staying only in yards of people he knew. The fact that she didn't even know who had been sledding on her snow banks made me all the more appalled and made her look even more foolish. All I know is, if this woman comes to my home again accusing Kurtis of any wrong doing, I will ask, "Did you see him do it?" and if the answer is no, she will get the door slammed in her face. Would that be wrong? What do you think?

10 comments:

Tiffany said...

Oh my goodness! You poor thing! I am so sorry that you had a nasty neighbor experience. I definitely think you should slam the door in her face next time!!! Just kidding! I always think that the best medicine is to kill them with kindness just like you did! Good job! You handled it very well.

brooke said...

It's so sad when people act like that. I'm proud of you for reacting the way you did. It's a lot nicer than I probably would've been. You are a good example!

Amy Marie said...

who does that??? what a random girl.

Ashley said...

Wow, that is crazy! I think you handled it great. Believe it or not, I have NEVER shoveled snow before. Isn't that crazy? Growing up where we did I just never had to, and then I always lived in apartments when I was in Utah! I'm spoiled, huh?

Unknown said...

I would have let the Browning fly out of your mouth if I were you. But the end of your story makes it even worse. What an idiot! I'm sure she knew it too. Way to be Christ like peace maker you always have been:)

joelandbecca said...

That would so not be wrong. You are so good for taking her banana bread. I would have just ignored her all the rest of my life. That is why you are a better person!

I love snow, but I do not miss shoveling it. Or driving in it! Or the cold! OK-maybe I only like snow when I can sit inside and be warm and look at it!

Jeremy and Cindy said...

Enjoy the snow for us. Kelsi and Shaylee sure miss it. Jeremy and I don't mind not having it around. Especially if we have to do anything other then stay home.

Erin and Dave said...

I would of ripped into her! That's just one more reason why you're better than me.....

Gaines Family Blog said...

Taking the high road is good, but unleashing the Browning inside (just a little) would have been good to. Her assumptions were crazy. She was flying off the handle and jumping to conclusions...I would have licked the banana bread...Just kidding. You did the right thing. Too funny. Gotta love neighbors.

Ivy said...

You should've licked the bread!