Monday, December 15, 2008

I'm a mean mom!

Having children that speak is a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing because you can finally understand what they are saying and it's a curse because you can finally understand what they are saying and some times they just won't shut up!

About 6 months ago I was in Old Navy with Kurtis to pick up some clothes. Before going there I had bought a treat for Kurtis that he could have as a snack later. Before entering the store I went through the usual expectations. "Don't run, don't hide in the clothes, stay with me, don't ask for anything and listen to mom." You would think he had this down.

This is how it went once we got inside the store. "Kurtis, stay with me! Kurtis put that down! Kurtis stop rolling around on the floor! Kurtis stop that! Kurtis, where are you? Stop it, STOP it, STOP IT! Kurtis stop running! No you can't have that! Get over here NOW!"

At this point Sean was screaming because he was hungry and tired and I was on the brink of insanity. Finally, I got so fed up with Kurtis that I said, "Kurtis that is it, you can't have your snack." With desperation in his voice and his eyes brimming with tears, he cried, "NO! Mom, please, just give me one more chance PLEASE!" To which I simply stated, "Nope." "BUT MOM! PLEASE JUST ONE MORE CHANCE!" "I already gave you lots of chances, the answer is still no."

The scene continued to unravel in the dressing room as his desperation turned to anger. As I left the dressing room, I handed the bewildered dressing room attendant the clothes I had brought in. I looked at her frightened eyes as she watched Kurtis' melt down and I said, "I'm a mean mom." Kurtis cried as he left the dressing rooms, "You are mom, you REALLY are!"
I turned my head away so he would not see me laugh. A laugh would surely add insult to injury.

So, it's official, I'm a mean mom! Isn't it great?

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I laughed out loud at at that! And Lincoln (not wanting to be left out at all) laughed right along with me! Little does he know that he will be in the same situation one day... mwahahahahaaa!

Allison said...

I would say that's funny, but the tantrum part is all too real for me right now. I have this theory about Old Navy. Kids for some reason act horribly in that store. I know it isn't just my kids, because of your story here, so it's now a theory.
Maybe it's the air in there, or the the music they play, or the chemicals coming off of their "Made in Indonesia" clothes, I don't know. OK so maybe I'm rambling now and this is the longest comment I've ever posted.
Simply stated: I will never take my kids to that store again!

Jeremy and Cindy said...

Oh how that scene sounds familar. I usually like shopping. But sometimes with kids it turns into a chore.

Ironygirl said...

Welcome to the club! I'm a mean mom, too. Doing errands with kids could be an effective torture device.