Sunday, January 25, 2009

Irish Spring Soap

Kurtis has been developing some bad habits lately. Mainly lying and the use of bad words. Most of these bad words he picked up from the movie Goonies. It's rated PG and it had been so long since I had seen it, I didn't remember just how bad the language was. Needless to say that movie is now off limits. Now don't judge me for letting him watch that movie, because I know some of you are, I wasn't sitting there watching the movie with him. Had I been watching it, I would have turned the movie off. So stop judging me. Anyway. He picked up a certain phrase from the movie. He would say, "What the h*ll?" We talked to him the first time we heard him say it and told him that he shouldn't say that phrase. Now we had had a problem early in 2008 with him saying "Oh my G*d!" And at one point I told him that if he said that phrase one more time I would wash his mouth out with soap. He said "Oh my G*d!" one more time. So I dragged him into the bathroom to wash his mouth out. We have the liquid soap that comes in a pump. Those soaps are WAY too mild. Because as I started to wash his mouth out Kurtis says, "Hmm. It's not so bad." GREAT! It's not so bad, meaning that my punishment didn't work. So when he started saying, "What the h*ll?" I wasn't quite sure what to do that would make him NEVER want to say it again. I tried a couple things, but they just didn't have the impact. Then an epiphany came. I thought about the worst soap you would never want in your mouth, Irish Spring Bar Soap. I gave him warning about the next time he used that phrase that I would wash his mouth out with soap. He was probably thinkin', "No biggie." Little did he know. He did use the phrase again. I brought him up to my bathroom and got out the Irish Spring. He HATED every second of it! And afterwards he kept saying, "Mom (gag), I can still taste it in my mouth! (gag)" I told him the taste was to remind him to NEVER use those words again. And he hasn't (yet). Mission Accomplished!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

That is SO awesome! I'm so glad you did that. And good to know about Goonies! I don't remember any bad language in that movie, but you know how those little details fade away after 10+ years of not watching it!

Ironygirl said...

You're not the only one. I was reading another blog yesterday that the mom was having the same problem because her son watched Goonies. Those 80's movies are worse than we thought, eh? I will have to remember your Irish Spring Soap trick. Thanks!

Jeremy and Cindy said...

I bet he learns his lesson this time.

Unknown said...

You go you mean mom you! :)